Its April! It nature’s calm before the storm. Take time to enjoy your garden, and if you aren’t – let Catscapes landscapes create the garden of your dreams! From lawn care to irrigation, from renovation to a blank canvas, let Catscapes landscapes take care of it for you!
The jobs below are an autumn garden task list:
- Make new plants from cuttings. Take 10cm cuttings from hardwood herbs such as rosemary and bay or natives such as banksias, grevillea and coastal rosemary. Remove the lower leaves, dip cuttings into hormone powder and pot in small containers of premium potting mix. Keep just moist and shelter from strong wind and sun.
- Trim hedges before the onset of winter to keep them compact and bushy from ground level.
- Check your lawn and make sure any weeds you sprayed last month are dying. Repeat the treatment if necessary. Aerate the lawn. Rejuvenate tired lawns with an autumn feeding to ready them for the onset of cool winter weather with a fertiliser high in Potassium to promote root growth.
- Check for borer damage on all deciduous trees, paying attention to the trunk at soil level. It’s easier to check when trees are dormant and bare. Check for aphids and spitting bugs.
- Don’t try to cultivate soil beneath large trees; you will only damage the roots. Make planting holes between the roots instead and insert small plants with tiny root systems that establish themselves readily. Bromeliads thrive under trees.
- Transfer the leaves that fall on your garden and lawn to the compost bin on a regular basis, otherwise they will smother your plants and grass.
- Don’t rush to prune spent seed heads. They provide a wealth of food for birds that visit the garden.
- If you have cymbidium orchids, they should be placed in full sunshine to encourage good flower spikes during winter and spring.
- Divide evergreen perennials. Lift them from the soil, divide at the root and re-plant into well-conditioned soil.
Some text courtesy of Homelife Australia
If you don’t already have one, now is the time to install a water harvestingand water wise irrigation system
Let Catscapes landscapes create the garden of your dreams